The region’s most iconic properties undergo significant renovations while brand transforms under recently launched Crowne Plaza Accelerate Plan
May 3, 2017 – Crowne Plaza hotel properties in Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean have announced a series of multi-million dollar renovations to some of the brand’s most iconic properties in the region. The Crowne Plaza brand is part of InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG®), one of the world’s leading hotel companies.
In addition to these renovations, IHG previously announced its Crowne Plaza Accelerate plan, in July 2016. The plan includes a $200 million investment into properties throughout the Americas region and a newly launched marketing campaign that aims to ensure that the brand remains at the forefront of the new way of doing business with design-led, culturally-relevant and technology-enabled solutions. The new campaign, “We’re All Business, Mostly,” demonstrates an important milestone in the transformational journey as the Crowne Plaza brand reaffirms its commitment to making business travel more fulfilling for the modern business traveler.
In Mexico, Central, South America and the Caribbean, Crowne Plaza hotels’ multi-million renovations and upgrades encompass guestrooms, lobbies, restaurants, facilities and public areas – including meeting rooms, business centers, gyms, as well as technology – in order to remain a cutting-edge option for today’s modern business travelers. The hotels are also currently implementing elements of the new brand hallmarks, which enable modern-day business travelers to sustain a lifestyle that seamlessly blends work and personal pursuits. Most renovations and new program implementations are underway and are expected to be completed in 2018.
Jorge Apaez, Chief Operating Officer, Mexico, Latin America and Caribbean, IHG® said:“Owners of IHG hotels continue making significant investments to modernize their hotels because they trust and have tremendous confidence in the Crowne Plaza brand. Today’s Crowne Plaza renovations, upgrades and implementation of new programs fall directly in line with the standards and hallmarks we offer our loyal guests: a brand promise and service designed to help modern business travelers accomplish what’s important both at a professional and personal level.”
Some of the region’s Crowne Plaza properties that have undergone renovations include:
- Crowne Plaza Managua: Renovations to the property’s nine floors, 140 guestrooms, and convention boast new interior finishes and new equipment throughout the hotel, as well as new technology. Major renovations have also been made to the lobby, Concord bar, restaurants, fitness center, pool and other public areas. Originally built in 1968, the Crowne Plaza Managua resembles the design of the ancient Mayan pyramids and is home to the country’s largest convention facility. Just last month, the Crowne Plaza Managua celebrated its re-inauguration.
- Crowne Plaza San Salvador: Agrisal Hoteles, owner of the Crowne Plaza San Salvador, has invested millions of dollars in the expansion of its conference center. The expansion includes the construction of a new hall that can accommodate events of up to 1,200 people and is divisible for additional events including but not limited to, weddings, corporate functions, conferences, seminars, and conventions. The hotel now offers a total of 27 meeting spaces with a capacity for up to 4,000 guests. Agrisal has eight business hotels, five in Central-American countries – including Costa Rica, Honduras, Nicaragua, and El Salvador – and operates in partnership with InterContinental Hotels Group to manage its Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, and Holiday Inn Express branded properties.
- Crowne Plaza Santo Domingo: A complete revamp of the hotel’s 196 guestrooms, its Club Floor, conference rooms, reception and lobby area have been completed. Its pool, with its stunning ocean views and popular “Kaffeto’s” coffee shop, has been modernized and a new lobby bar, Level1, has been added to the property.
- Crowne Plaza Monterrey: Renovations are being made to the renowned property’s guestrooms, including larger flat screen TVs and new interior finishes. Major renovations are also being made to the hotel’s public areas. New technology is also being installed throughout the hotel.
- Crowne Plaza Queretaro: Major renovations are being made to the restaurant “Dominio,” which offers a stunning panoramic view of the city, and to the hotel’s fitness center, which will soon be furnished with top-of the-line equipment.
- Crowne Plaza Toluca-Lancaster: The hotel completely transformed its 113- guestrooms as well as its fitness center. Renovations to the lobby are expected to be completed by the 2ndquarter of 2017. The Crowne Plaza Toluca-Lancaster is one of the most sought out in the city and enjoys strong ties to the local cultural and major sporting events.
- Crowne Plaza Asuncion: Slated for completion in June of 2017, the 74-room Crowne Plaza Asuncion is being fully renovated, including upgrades to its guestrooms, meeting rooms, restaurants and public areas. The exterior façade of the property will also be refreshed to complete a contemporary look and feel.
- Crowne Plaza Santiago: The centrally located hotel in Chile has modernized its convention center and its technology offerings throughout and transformed its food, beverage and entertainment venues. The hotel boasts 293 guestrooms and suites, a spa, fitness center, tennis courts and an outdoor swimming pool. Renovations to the guestrooms have resumed and are expected to be completed by the end of 2017.
Since Crowne Plaza’s Accelerate Plan launched in June of 2016, IHG announced at New York Fashion Week that New York-based designer Timo Weiland had been appointed Style Director for the Crowne Plaza® brand and would develop new uniform designs for the hotels in the Americas. His newly designed collection, Momentum by Timo Weiland will further enhance the properties’ refresh journey taking place throughout the region. The new Crowne Plaza uniforms will be worn by all hotel team members in Mexico, Central, South America and Caribbean, by the third quarter of 2017.
Additional plans for growth in the region will include the opening of the Crowne Plaza Barranquilla in May of 2017 in Colombia, which will mark the global hotel company’s 14th property in the country and IHG’s second hotel brand to gain a footing in the booming metropolis of Barranquilla. The Crowne Plaza Puebla in Mexico will be opening its doors during the 2nd quarter of the year as the brand also continues strengthening its Mexico presence with two recently signed properties in the key cities of Chihuahua and San Miguel Allende.
IHG® currently has more than 400 Crowne Plaza branded hotels worldwide, 21 of which are located throughout Latin America, with five additional properties in the pipeline. IHG has hotels in nearly 100 countries, with 221 hotels and 37,587 rooms throughout Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean. With roots in Latin America, IHG’s first InterContinental® hotel opened in Belem, Brazil in 1946. IHG also manages IHG® Rewards Club, the world’s first and largest hotel loyalty program, with more than 100 million members worldwide.