May 25, 2017 – Over 2,000 Marriott International associates spent today volunteering at 42 sites throughout the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia culminating in 7,000 hours of volunteer time. Part of Associate Appreciation Week, Spirit To Serve is an opportunity for Marriott’s worldwide community of associates to come together as a team for a global day of service, bridging the company’s business to its communities to drive social impact.
“Spirit To Serve Day underscores our core values of putting people first and serving our world. It’s a day that our associates look forward to each year,” said Joanne Thomas, senior manager of social impact. “A highlight of the day was the KaBoom! playground build at Harmony Public Charter School in Northeast Washington. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing the happy faces of kids when they come to the new playground.”
Other volunteer activities included:
- Worked at 12 public parks throughout the area, including the Locust Grove Nature Center
- Assembled 3,000 sandwiches for Martha’s Table
- Participated in two Habitat for Humanity home builds
- Collected and sorted sports equipment for Leveling The Playing Field
- Served meals at So Others Might Eat and Thrive D.C.
- Held a website hackathon forHER Resiliency Center, an organization that provides vulnerable women between the ages of 18-25 with life skills and resources to make positive decisions to thrive in the world.
Marriott associates shared stories and photographs of their projects on Twitter using the hashtag #SpiritToServe.